Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Gettin' Started

I'm a record collector with few boxes of old 45 and 78 rpm records, most of which have not been organized. The idea here is to catalogue a record a day ... get it all done little by little. It's going to be a fairly long ride and it will get even longer as I go, because I'm still looking for more of these little round black objects. How many records are there now? Well, I won't say (don't even know the exact number), but I'll tell you when I have posted the last one. :)

Surely there will be days when for a reason or another I can't make a post, but I'll try to keep the overall pace at 365 posts per year.

I've found most of these vinyl and shellac records in the vicinity of Seattle, WA, when living in the area (in 2003-2009). The rest I've bought in Finland, where my home is currently. Majority of the records are from 1940's - 1990's; few from the 2000's and some as early as 1910's and 1920's (Edison Diamond Disc Records). Quite a few of the records were bought in bigger lots, where I didn't know exactly what each and every record was. That explains some odd pieces (e.g. ABBA) that will come up sooner or later, if I don't get rid of them first. :)

In each post I'll share a short bit of the record's history if I happen to know it, or if I can find it in the web in 10 minutes or less. It may not always be 100% correct as I won't take the time to verify every single piece of information before posting it. I'm trying to keep this fairly lean & simple. If any reader knows more about a record or wants to correct something, please comment & share. :)

Record's list price will also be included, when I can find it in my Goldmine Catalogs. When the list price is not available, I'll check popsike.com to see if I can find a range of typical selling price (in auctions) for the record. Why do I want to show the price? Well, it's the best indicator for the level of rarity of the record combined with the level of demand there is for it. In addition to other factors, both of these variables depend a bit on your location and the latter also on the current popular trends in music. Due to the origin of the majority of the records (and the fact that Goldmine is in the States) the prices in most of the posts are based on the US record market.
Final note on the prices; very often the price does not equal the value. You may have a record with a $500 list price, but nobody wants to buy it for anything near that price. On the other hand, a big fan of the artist may buy a record for way more than the listed price.

Each post will include a photo or two. I'll aim to take all the photos myself and I'll also keep the copyrights for those. Should there be a photo taken by somebody else, I'll mention that in the post.

See if I'm up for it. I'll go now and grab the first box and get this started. Oh, and the posts will not be in any particular order because the records are not in any order - yet. :)

Cheers,
T-Recs

No comments:

Post a Comment