Sunday, September 06, 2026

Record #0847: Honey Love / Warm Your Heart – THE DRIFTERS FEATURING CLYDE McPHATTER

Atlantic 1029 (original) USA, May 1954
Words & Music bySide A
Clyde McPhatter, Gerald (Jerry) Wexler; Side BTom Dowd, Nugetre (Ahmet Ertegün), Wexler
Musicians: Clyde McPhatter (lead tenor vocals),
Bill Pinkney (bass vocals), Andrew "Bubba" Thrasher (baritone), Gerhart "Gay" Thrasher (tenor), Jimmy Oliver (guitar), Sam Taylor (sax on side B), Harry Van Walls (piano on side B), Mickey Baker (guitar on side B), others unknown
Recording sessions: Atlantic Studios, New York, NY, Side A – 4. February 1954; Side B – 12. November 1953
Highest chart positions: Side A - US #21, US R&B #1; Side B - none

I have already posted the original 45 RPM record here.

The Drifters’ “Honey Love” was one of the first “forbidden songs” of the early rock’n’roll era. Clyde McPhatter sings intensely: ”I need it, I need it when the moon is bright / I need it, I need it when you hold me tight”. The lyrics never explicitly state what ”it” refers to. However, the authorities were absolutely convinced that it was a blatant reference to premarital sex.

As the song climbed the charts, the censorship machinery clamped down heavily. In Memphis, TN, the local police chief ordered officers to raid the city's bars and cafes. The police physically removed the Atlantic 1029 shellac and vinyl discs from jukeboxes to prevent the youth from hearing this "corrupting" music. 😊The song was placed on official ban lists and censored by radio stations and authorities in cities like Boston and Houston.

List price: Les Docks lists this for $10-$15. 45cat.com Price Guide shows €69. I found 7 copies sold in eBay for $20-$35.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment